Alison Ridley, the Secretary of the Meon Valley Labour Party has been to the 2019 Labour Party conference and provided us with key messages and quotes from the Jeremy Corbyn’s Speech. With thanks to Paul Sony for the colourful photos:
Key messages and quotes from the Leader’s Speech – “People Before Privilege”
“This is an extraordinary and precarious moment in our country’s history …. ”
Confirming the Party’s position on Brexit
- The general election should take place once the threat of no deal has passed (i.e. after 31 October) ensuring we do not lose rights and protections.
- Within 3 months of a Labour government coming to power we will secure a credible leave deal (new customs union, a close single market relationship and guarantees of rights and protections).
- Within 6 months we will hold a public vote. We are the only major UK party ready to put our trust in the people to have the final say on Brexit, with a choice of a credible leave deal alongside remain.
- We will carry out whatever the people decide. “We can bring our country and our people together.” “We stand not just for the 42% or the 48 % but for the 99 %”.
- Improve workers’ rights, scrap zero hours contracts, introduce a £10 living wage, including for young people. All workers to have equal rights from first day in the job, workforce to have a 10% stake in large companies, scrap the Tory Trade Union Act.
- Utilities – rail, mail, water and the national grid will be returned to public ownership.
- NHS – free prescriptions in England.
- Social care – free personal care.
- Education – end University tuition fees, free childcare and a new Sure Start programme
- Tax – tax will only be raised for the top 5%, big corporations will be made to pay the tax they owe.
- Ending austerity – currently in this country 14 million people are living in poverty.
- Housing – largest council house building programme in a generation, revive high streets.
- Transport – investment in bus services and in a cross rail linking the great northern cities.
- Climate emergency – bring emissions down to net zero, invest in renewable energy and green technology, off shore wind farms, solar power.
“When Labour wins, the nurse wins, the pensioner wins, the student wins, the office worker wins, the engineer wins. We all win …. Together we’ll take on the privileged, and put the people in power”