· Local party members met for our monthly CLP meeting at Wickham Community Centre on 10th October – Please find the notes of our meeting attached.
· We usually meet as a CLP on the second Thursday of each month from 7:30pm but in November we have been invited to join with the Winchester CLP meeting on Thursday 21st November, who have an excellent guest speaker Simon Letts who was the Prospective Parliamentary Candidate (PPC) for Southampton Itchen in the 2017 General election when they managed to reduce a significant Tory majority to just 30 votes. Simon will be talking about running a successful election campaign. The meeting will be at St Lawrence Parish Hall, Colebrook Street, Winchester SO23 9LH from 7.30pm. If you would like a lift or to share lifts please reply to this email and we will get in touch with you.
· The Regional Office have now contacted us with details of how the process will work to select a PPC for Meon Valley CLP in readiness for the forthcoming general election. It is a very tight timeframe. We have one member who has expressed an interest but if there are any other members who would like to be considered please contact me by replying to this email by end of play 28th October. The selection panel will be made up of two officers from the Regional Office and our CLP Secretary (me), and will be held on 31 October or 1 November. I will be able to update all members again in early November – if we have more than one candidate then a hustings will be arranged so local members can vote. .
· Campaigning in Waterlooville – Havant CLP have arranged to collect signatures for a petition and hand out leaflets in Waterlooville High Street on Friday 25th October to try to prevent the closures of local GP surgeries. If you would like more details please reply to this email for details or check it out on the Labour Party Membersnet Events page.
Notes of Meon Valley CLP Meeting – 10 October 2019
Present: Paul, June (chair) Sue, Fiona, Nick, Steve, Alison (notes).
- Welcome – June welcomed all members, including new member Fiona.
- Sign off last CLP notes.
- Members discussion : The current national political debate – members shared their thoughts on the recent developments in relation to the Brexit debate, the very concerning behaviour of the Prime minister in Parliament when he referred to concerns raised by MPs about their safety as “humbug”. We discussed the current stances of the 3 main political parties, and how these issues will impact on our campaign in the forthcoming General Election.
- Campaign planning for the General Election – we agreed key components of the Meon Valley CLP campaign. It was decided that we would focus our resources on ensuring the CLP shows that it has a local presence by undertaking several leafletting street events (most likely these will be in Waterlooville, Wickham and Bishops Waltham). Action: Alison to approach Havant CLP to see if they are planning any events in Waterlooville which we could undertake jointly with them. Action: Alison to circulate leafletting dates to all members once they are confirmed.
- Role of Prospective Parliamentary Candidate (PPC) – we sought expressions of interest amongst members present for this role if we find that the NEC/Regional Office do not allocate a PPC to us. Sue confirmed she would be willing to be considered for the role.
Action for all members – can any other member who wishes to be considered reply to this email so that a member of the committee can provide details of what this would involve.
- CLP Social Media – the CLP website has been updated by James with a report from the Party Conference and we will be providing a further Conference report and photographs for the website in the next week. Action: June and another member has offered to write a blog for the Facebook page. Can any other members who are interested in writing short blogs for Facebook page please reply to this email so we can put you in touch with the CLP Social Media team.
- Election leaflet – Action : Alison to check back with David PJ on how it was approached last time, in case we can make an early start on this.
- Coffee break
- Labour Party Conference Reports – Alison and Paul reported back to members on the recent Labour Party Conference in Brighton which had included some excellent fringe events exploring issues of inequality and empowerment, which had drawn on recent research undertaken by the Runnymede Trust and Class (Centre for Labour and Social Studies) entitled “We are Ghosts: Race, Class and Institutional Prejudice”. The CLP formally thanked Paul who acted as the CLP delegate this year for all his work during the conference.
NB. These notes are not a verbatim record , they are a brief summary of the meeting.
Key dates for your diary
Thursday 14th Nov 2019: No CLP meeting at Wickham Community Centre as instead we are going to a joint meeting with Winchester CLP the following week.
Thursday 21st Nov 2019: 7:30pm St Lawrence Parish Hall, Colebrook St, Winchester SO23 9LH.
Thursday 5th Dec 2019: Christmas CLP meeting – Wickham Community Centre. NB this is held on the first Thursday of the month to allow for the fact that everyone gets too busy nearer Christmas.
Thursday 9th Jan 2020: CLP meeting – Wickham Community Centre from 7:30pm