- The media – work being led by Tom Watson to support the implementation of the recommendations from the second part of the Leveson Inquiry into the culture, practices and ethics of the British press.
- We need foster a culture of debate and tolerance and to end abuse (on line and in person)
- Labour is a broad church on a journey together – we are the party of equality for all, we reject anti-Semitism and any form of racism. We stand against the culture which generated the Windrush scandal and the ‘hostile environment’ perpetuated by the Home Office towards immigration.
Social Care and Health and the welfare state
- We are against austerity and outsourcing, the ‘social vandalism’ of the Tories which is dismantling the welfare state.
- We must rebuild the public services and create a mixed economy fit for the 21 century
- Social care – crisis in Mental Health services – we need parity of esteem between MH services and other part of the health service.
- Home building programme plus a new ‘solidarity fund’ will use money taken from people with second homes and use it to support services for homeless people
- Social security changes by the Tories has created a ‘hostile environment for disabled people’
- We will re-establish 10,000 police officers jobs
- We recognise the need to protect life chances for children and young people – offer of free child care and better pay for early years workers (minimum £10 /hour wage)
- Triple lock on pensions, plus free bus pass plus winter fuel allowance for older people – to support ‘solidarity between all generations’.
- We must harness the new technologies (incl A.I.) for the good of the many to improve living standards
- We must democratise the economy – economic justice, workers to have a place on the board, shareholding for employees
- Action to save the High Street
- ‘Greed is good capitalism’ must be stood against – it is not working any more. Instead our politics and views are the ‘new mainstream’
- Only one planet – countries must stand together we all breath the same air. We must lead by example.
- Labour’s new energy plan will enable us to meet our environmental obligations. Working towards a new low carbon economy we will create 400,00 skilled jobs.
- We will stand up for democratic values and human rights wherever they are under threat (not just where it is commercially convenient as the Tories do), no more ‘reckless wars’
- We will work to support peace in Yemen, Syria and Palestine – we will recognise the state of Palestine.
- Labour respects the referendum decision , we want a deal that will protect jobs and living standards.
- We will vote against Checkers and oppose a no deal. We want a general election – if we cannot get that we are leaving all options on the table to consider.
- We are the ‘new common sense of our time’.
- You tube clip of the Leader’s Conference speech, Brighton, Sept 2018:
- Link to Labour Party website page with text of Jeremy’s speech, Sept 2018: